Saturday, June 30, 2012

6 miles...

Today we ran 6miles at the Rose Bowl trails. Even though I felt great last week, I wanted to make sure that I kept feeling great so I made sure to really stretch and warm up. We were off in out pacing groups in no time and I a few strides later I began to cramp up. Crap! This is how it started the first time I was feeling pain. I slowed down during my walks take those extra long strides and stretch my calves. It helped a bit, but I still felt a little uncomfortable. We were also running faster than our actual pace so we spoke up and slowed it down.

My group is pacing at a 17min mile and I have no problem with it. At first I was a bit disappointed in myself because I knew I could do better. But then look what happened, started too fast, pushed too hard and bam! Shin Splints. So I am really starting to learn what my body can take and how fast it can take it. And right now my body is telling me that I should stick with my pace group and not push it too fast. I'm already on pace to finish strong, I know I can get stronger, but I still have a full 9 weeks to get me there. I'm finally in no hurry. Took me 6 weeks to listen to my body, slow down, and be ok with it. But hey, at least I'm there.


So, I have no problem slowing down. Coaches say that when you slow down you are actually training your body to burn fat and strengthening those muscles. And strong muscles is what I need right now. Get my skinny legs going!

No comments:

Post a Comment